FUNCTIONS OF THE ASSEMBLY
The functions of the Assembly are deliberative, legislative and executive, and Section 10 (3) of the Local Government Act of 1993, Act 462, lists them as follows:
- Responsible for the overall development of the District and shall ensure the preparation and submission through the Regional Coordinating Council; of development plans of the District to the National Development Planning Commission for approval; and of the budget of the District to the Minister of Finance for approval.
- Formulate and execute plans, programmes and strategies for the effective mobilization of the resources necessary for the overall development of the District.
- Promote and support productive activities and social developments in the District and remove any obstacle to initiative and development.
- Initiate programmes for the development of infrastructure and provide municipal works and services in the District.
- Responsible for the development, improvement and management of human settlements and the environment in the District.
- In co-operation with the appropriate external and local security agencies be responsible for the maintenance of security and public safety in the District and to ensure ready access to courts in the District for the promotion of justice.
- Initiates, sponsor or carry out such studies as may be necessary for the discharge of any of the functions conferred by this Act or any other enactment and;
- Perform such other functions as may be provided under any enactment.