District Works Engineer, Sefwi Akontombra District
Ass. District Works Engineer, Sefwi Akontombra District
Technician Engineer, Sefwi Akontombra District
The District Works Department (D.W.D.) is one of the decentralized department of MMDA’s who functions are crucial for effective management of service delivery at the local level at the local level. It is the merging of roads, building and water sectors within the District Assembly. The LI 1961 mandates all District Assemblies to establish and make operational the Works Department.
FUNCTIONS OF D.W.D. AS (STIPULATED IN L.I. 1961)
The Works Department shall;
- Assist the Assembly to formulate policies on works within the framework of National policies.
- Assist to establish and specify the programmes of action necessary for the implementation of physical plans.
- Facilitate the implementation of policies on works and report to the Assembly.
- Assist to prepare tender documents for all civil projects to be undertaken by the Assembly through contracts or community initiated projects.
- Advice the Assembly on matters relating to works in the District
- Facilitate the provision of adequate and wholesome supply of portable water for the entire District.
- Facilitate the construction, repair and maintenance of public roads including feeder roads.
- Provide technical advice for the machinery and structural layout of building plans to facilitate escape from fire, rescue operation and fire management
OBJECTIVE OF ESTABLISHMENT OF DWD
- To ensure an integrated and harmonized infrastructural development at the District level.
- To create synergy among work related activities.
- To ensure effective and efficient service delivery (value for money)
- To provide technical service for all works related activities (Roads, Building, Water, etc.)
The District Works Department is made up of the following sectors, Building, Roads and Water and Sanitation. Below are the functions of each of the sectors.
FUNCTIONS RELATED TO THE ROADS SECTION
- Provision of design and supervision, construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of paved and unpaved feeder roads including related drainage and bridge structure
FUNCTIONS RELATED TO THE BUILDING SECTION
- Inventory of public buildings
- Provision of design and supervision, construction, rehabilitation and maintenance works related to public buildings and other Government properties.
- Facilitate access to decent shelter and promote improved construction, development of local building materials and maintenance of rural housing.
- Advocacy and technology transfer.
FUNCTIONS RELATED TO THE WATER AND SANITATION SECTION
- Facilitate and / or provide safe water and related sanitation services o rural communities and small towns.
- Promote hygiene